"A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor..."

I lay in my bed with my head buried in my pillow.
A lot of things ran through my mind and none of them was a thing to be happy about. Even the smile I always did, I couldn't fake. As strong as I always tried to be, I couldn't stop tears from rolling down my rough face. My eyes were red and my voice was shaky. My feet were weak and my arms, even weaker. The only thing that still worked right was my mind, but even it forgot all the good things in the world.
I had no control over myself anymore. It was like I was in another world; one that only darkness prevails. Sleeping was always my escape from the world and its problems but it was like insomnia was my new loyal friend because it just never left me.
Everything felt just like the world was at war with me...

And then my heart asked my head some questions -  "What makes this place called life without problems?" "What makes success appreciated without failure?" "How do one appreciate the greatest height if he never fell?" And if anything was more important than happiness and peace of one's mind?
My thoughts were enough to motivate me and then I removed my buried head from my pillow, I wiped my tears with my cloth. And I became active; arms got strong and feet, even stronger.
"A smooth sea never made a good sailor", I thought out loud.
All these thoughts restored the bright smile to my face and I was able to feel 'alive' again.
My family, my friends, the ever beautiful nature, puzzles to solve, mysteries to unravel, dreams to fulfil, places to go, people to meet, good things to do and a lot more things to learn - I realised that there was more to life than letting my problems, no matter how big, get deep into me.
And ever since, I've decided to always smile at a new problem, 'tame' it and 'destroy' it using the easiest, safest and best way, which is to always keep my head up and remain happy, no matter what.
Problems are temporary, I won't treat them otherwise.
Happiness is all that matters and the highest level of success, so, I've decided to be happy, and remain happy, always!

Afolabi Koyum Kolade [KK Awesome]
30th October, 2016.

No comments: