EGGHEAD

As a young boy, my mates used to diss me because I had a big ogo (that extra part at the back side of your head - occiput). Mine was bigger than the average boy's. The diss was so much that they would advise  me to just try harder, as I'd have the special abilities to lay eggs; cos my head looks like it's designed for egg-laying. Every stupid classmate of mine then would turn themselves to musicians and be composing stupid songs for me and my famous ogo; at least I still remember the "ogo ponmile, ogo yemisi" (extra head gets me respect, extra head gives me prestige) song they composed for me that time. The songs broke me, to be honest; but as the bad guy that I was then, I'd act like I was not pained and in return, diss them back and try to form songs for them in return. I would sometimes wish that I didn't have an ogo as big as I did and would even attempt to try to make it appear smaller - but I always failed, it was impossible! I remember very clearly how a classmate told me then that he wonders how my neck doesn't hurt, as the load of my ogo was apparently too much for it. The disses were too much that they were enough reasons for me to start hating myself from having a different head from every other boy. But you know how I dealt with it? Then, whenever dad came back from work, he'd say "wa, je n fi ego(he didn't call it ogo) e sere", and to relax, he'd rub my ogo to and fro. That served as my therapy and it always calmed me and made me very happy, as I always enjoyed it. I then thought "if I had no ogo, daddy wouldn't be rubbing my head every night". That one reason was enough to accept my ogo as it was. On other days that it wasn't enough, I used to think, "all these boys that'd say my ogo is big, why is it that they are dull and if any head was to be called for any good thing in class, it was mine; maybe my ogo was just the hidden reason" - that was another thing that I said to myself. I was a smart kid and I didn't want to lose that. By that, I accepted and loved my ogo and after that, no single one of them could make me feel bad about having a big ogo. They got tired of the disses when they saw that it stopped affecting me, and I got happier as I accepted myself the way that I was. I became a very good header of the ball at a very young age and I scored goals with my head. Anytime I did, I'd silently thank God for my "ogo". That was how I turned my insecurity to my strength.
Today, my ogo is almost normal and not as big as it was and this sometimes makes me feel is the reason as to why I'm not as smart. I actually miss my ogo.
So many other insecurities about myself that are now my strength - I don't want to share the story of my "lips", my "slow" story and other stories. I just want to pass my simple message. Don't mind these people, don't let them shame you for looking the way you are. There's a reason you look like that, it's one of what makes you special.
Don't mind anyone who calls you short; short is an adjective and not an insult, and whenever someone says you're short, tell them you love it because whenever it rains, you'd be the last person it would touch and you have an opportunity to be wiser as you could hear the ancestors gossip in the ground.
Don't feel sad when anyone calls you fat; fat is strength, it is success. It only shows all the food you've been eating isn't wasting and that if there comes a big wind, unlike the thin ones, you'd not be carried away by it.
Believe me, you're beautiful the way God made you and you are amazing just the way you are. Don't listen to the "talks", rather thank God for being unique and different from everyone else.

My name is Koyum Kolade, son of Afolabi.
I'm a very dark boy with a very big nose, very small ears, small fingers, full lower lip and my remaining small ogo.
And despite every "odd" thing, I love myself so much (if you know me, you'll know) and I have people who love me and appreciate me; of course, just the way that I was made... Be like me.
.
.
.

Koyum Kolade Afolabi.
KK Awesome.

No comments: