THE DATE

Like I expected, you kept me waiting... While sitting on the seat I chose for us, trying to act like a gentleman; I sipped my juice and you entered. My brain automatically became more analytical and my eyes scanned you admirably. That was the first time I'd see you, apart from the first day you caught my attention at the market.
"Hi, how are you", I said, and I noticed my heart beat was not as regular as it was supposed to be. I wasn't nervous because I didn't know what to say, I was just nervous because I didn't know how the date would go, as I wanted it to be a hit - one I'd have in my head for a very long time.
Your voice sounded a bit different than it did on phone - maybe a bit more feminine and sweet.
Apart from your stature that I noticed first as you walked towards me, I could tell that you didn't just have a nice stature and a great walking step, you had welcoming facial expressions and I could see the light that came out of your eyes through that dope pair of glasses you had on.
I liked how you didn't make it difficult for us to get along, and how once again, we clicked very fast, even more than we did on phone. There were a lot of things to talk about and we tried our best to have them all broken down, as we talked about school, alergies, football, career, dreams, family and life in general. I don't know where that vibe came from - the one that made me say things I wouldn't say on a normal day. And I'm sure my small ears thanked me - cos I gave them the chance to listen to what soothed them.
I don't know why I couldn't stop myself from putting all my attention on you, particularly in your eyes. Even though I kind of react to too much light,  the beam of light emitted from inside your eyes was perfect for my eyes. Everytime you smiled, it melted my heart, and maybe that was why my humour game upped throughout when we were together. I liked how you rolled your eyes and how the inside of them looked like the way to paradise.
The pictures we took, even though under poor lightning conditions, were able to make me reminisce so much when I got back home, as I couldn't stop staring at them and remembering the drama we played while taking them, and how much fun it was moving seats, so that we could appear in the pictures together.
It was as if I could pause the time and feel every moment longer as time was moving faster than it usually did. I remember how when we were leaving the restaurant, my head worked and I brought my lost tradition back alive - I made you stay by my left side, so I could fight danger with my right hand while I embrace you with the left, in case I had to.
I actually thought that was the end of the date that I wanted to have again, but there was more. We both were not the only ones enjoying us together apparently, as traffic wanted us to spend more time together.
I thought only the times spent in private cars and comfortable taxis are the only ones that could be memorable, I never knew strolling could make so much sense too, until I had to do it with you. The way you refused to do the "ladies first" thing, the things we talked about and of course, how far we walked together were enough reasons to want to stroll again..
I remember how you stared at my ass and pretended that you wanted to know why guys kept combs with them everywhere they went to. I remember how I made you roll your eyes even when you didn't want to.
Your beautiful eyes, your natural brows, you small, cute lips and your perfect nose have built a room in my house of memories.
More than anything, I remember your smile. How every moment, I wanted more of it. I remember your smile, how it made you look so cute. I remember your smile, how it was so bright that it made me forget it was dark outside... Yes, I want more of it, as I can never get enough. I want more of it, as, it's a drug for me already. I want more of it, as, I want light, shine and beauty.
Anytime I have a bad day, I know if I could see you and you smile, things would get better.
Thank you for spending time with me, thank you for creating memories with me. Thank you for making me feel alive. Thank you for sharing thoughts with me. Thank you for listening. And thank you for being one of the few persons who can actually make me smile without having to fake it at any time...
I've learnt that in life, things might not work the way you want them to, if not, I'd start celebrating that you'd never have to leave my life already. But if life has to do its things again and we end up not being near what I'd want us to, and end up becoming ordinary to ourselves, I'd cherish this day forever and of course, the one who gave me the date to remember.
But also, in life, we can hope, as it's what keeps us moving in... So, I'll just hope; hope that there are even better days than this, for us.

Koyum Kolade Afolabi [ KK Awesome ].

No comments: