My 2018: A brief glimpse and Lessons learnt


It is 31st December 2018,  and I'm sitting in the lounge of the MTN Office, Agodi to retrieve my sim after losing my phone on the 27th of December, at gunpoint(One of the crazy moments in the year, btw), as i got home for the holidays which contained an account of my memoirs which I had planned to share as a link today,  I feel inclined to just type this little piece to highlights some events of the year and the lessons i learnt, both generally, and in the hard way.

To start, i had a lot of things I set out to achieve, as part of a 5 year personal development plan I set for myself at the end of my 2nd year in medical school in 2016.

2017 was all about discovering and rediscovering myself, seeking for ways I could be of greater input to the betterment of my immediate society and beyond, asides my primary aim of being a physician.
I was practically silent for most of the year, critically assessing the situation around me and also noting what could be done, how to do them and map out ways to be involved.
A number of these things I actually possessed the necessary prerequisites, knowledge and skillset, yet I still found it incumbent to do more.
To Learn More, To Equip Myself More, To be MORE Knowledgeable in the areas I had already identified I could be of impact to the society. Two areas formed the core of these areas, which are LEADERSHIP and SOCIAL IMPACT
And this was what I had in mind as I looked forward to the 2nd year in the development plan, 2018.

I can confidently say this year has been one of the best years of my Life so far.
Of course, that is not to say it didn't come with its challenges. In fact they came in various shades and forms.

I had just begun my 4th year of medical school, and at the University of Ilorin,  it is unarguably deemed the most stressful and tasking year in the 6 year journey of being a medical doctor.
Filled with an unreasonably high amount of academic work, clinical activities, and other similar events.  The task I had set out for in the year seemed like a mirage.

I had thought it wise to share some of the plans I had with some of my other colleagues in school,  and not ONE of the people i shared it with saw the reasonability, and feasibility  in the things I wanted to do, considering what lay ahead in this new class. In fact,  there were a lot of negative comments, that at some point seemed too many to ignore, or were too much i felt I would snap at some point.
But then i always thank God I saw the need to forge ahead despite these challenges.

I set out to learn, and coincidentally,  a lot of platforms came along for me to do so.
I volunteered for a lot of causes.
I attended a lot of conferences,  seminars,  workshops and meetings.
I got a lot of recommendations from friends and colleagues outside school as regards various opportunities that were in alignment with my goals and objectives which I maximised effectively.
I took a number of online courses and webinars, and of course while not the ultimate aim, I got a number of certifications cutting across different platforms, agencies and institutions.
Beyond this, it seemed like the heavens were in synchronisation with my plan as almost every passing day in the year brought me events(from observing events in the classroom, to hanging out with friends, to being a member of various teams working on specific projects) to learn from.
I worked in various teams, each with different and specific goals and It was indeed an avenue for me to learn a lot too.

In this quest, I had to make a lot of sacrifices. I had to make a lot of voyages, travelling outside school frequently, making late night trips and risky journeys.
I remember particularly, one out of the numerous trips I took to Lagos earlier in the year. It was during my Junior Medicine Posting in May. My Project Group had our field work and questionnaire administration to do at the main university campus the same day I was to travel and as the group leader there was no way I could have evaded that work. I had planned that within a time frame of 3 hours, lasting from 9am-12noon we would finish this work, meet with our supervisor and then I would be on my way to Lagos where I was expected to check in my already booked reservation by 7pm.
But as fate would have it, we couldn't finish up with the field work until around 2pm, and by the time we finished meeting with our supervisor it was already past 3pm. I left school almost immediately hoping to catch an afternoon ride to Lagos. But unfortunately i couldn't leave until about 6pm that day.
On that journey, after surviving three (3) major accident scares during it,yes you heard right, three. One on the Oyo-Ogbomoso Highway, another on the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway, and the other on the 3rd Mainland Bridge and eventually getting to my hotel room about 2:15 am, I had to review what exactly my motives for doing all of these things were.

1. What exactly do I stand to gain, putting myself in harm's way in my so called quest for knowledge?
2. Why am I making all these sacrifices when eventually it probably wouldn't matter in the long run, especially considering the bad system in place in this country?
3. Is this what it means to seek to be an impactful medical student whereas it might take a toll on my academics eventually?

It was in this moment of sober reflection and solemn thoughts that I came across a quote I had written in my journal over a year ago by Terry Giles which read:
"Reach for the Stars. Decide what you want to be and don't settle for anything less. Believe you can live your dreams, and then work towards that goal, and it will happen. The worst mistake you can make is when you give up on yourself"
Reading through that, I was able to provide answers to all the questions rummaging my mind and i would continue to forge  ahead in my pursuits of acheiving my set goals for the year despite the obvious risks and challenges.

There were a whole lot of experiences during the year that, of course, broadened my horizon, reshaped my thoughts, and eventually groomed me to be better aligned in my pursuits of being a better leader and one who would make significant societal impact.
I had captured a number of these events in my original piece, and considering the little time frame I have to write this, I would skip mentioning them, and just highlight some of the lessons i learnt hoping it would benefit us

1. Knowledge is Power.
I had always known about this simple statement for a long time but I only could feel it's manifestation majorly this year. I cannot count the number of times, on various platforms that mere having knowledge about some simple things stood me out and also berthed significant connections, and expanded my network.
Like Patrick Ashinze would say, "Knowledge is Shy, hence you have to make extra efforts to bring it to yourself".

2. Be yourself, regardless.
Because, Imitation is Limitation and Identifying who you are and being conscious of it would determine your outlook in life

3. A Thick Skin is needed to survive Life.
Just because, no matter what you do, you will have detractors both in numbers and might. But then, you know what actually annoys them more, developing a nonchalance towards all the negativity they exude .

4. Never settle for less, but then be sure you are actually equipped to do that.

5. Hardwork never kills

6. You will never be enough for everyone no matter what, so don't be too hard on yourself.

 7. Always give your best in whatever position you are, not minding if you are given accolades or not.
People are always watching, and you never know when your best would pay off or where it would take you to.
I'm a living example to this.
Twice this year, I sat on platforms that were due to recommendations from people i worked with earlier, and just in the early hours of today, I got another letter inviting me for an event in Kumasi, Ghana next year April based on a good word from a mentor of mine who had entrusted me with a job earlier this year. This person did not even muster a Thank You in words to me afterthe completion of the task but then look how he paid me back

8. You are the architect of your own Fortune (and Misfortune).
It would be inappropriate if I end this piece without acknowledging and appreciating all those who were indeed there for me this year.

It is impossible for me to list you all, but I pray that the Almighty bless you all abundantly, now, in the next year and beyond.

However, I would specially recognize three individuals whom their roles in the past one year meant a whole lot to me.

1. Oreoluwa Olukorode
For the efforts, too many to mention here. Thank you, for everything!

2. Akinoso Aminat
I couldn't have wished for a better partner. Thank You!

3. Amuda-Kannike Sulyman
Thank you Egbon. For the constant support, advice and concern. The past few months where I served as your Secretary to review the ILUMSA Compendium were golden times.

There's a whole lot of detail I would have loved to share, but considering the fact that I lost my original article and the short time I had in putting this up but I however hope we can learn from some of these lessons i learnt in 2018 as we prepare to usher in the new year.

Thank you for taking your time to read this, and I wish you the best in all your endeavours in 2019.
Be Good, Do Good and never forget to be the best version of yourself,  always.


ABDULLAH,Khalil-ur-Rahman 
Ibadan, Nigeria.
31st December,  2018

No comments: